Explore Kankakee County Museum With Your Loved Ones
There are several fun things to do when you’re in Kankakee, IL, and one of them is museum strolling! Discover the county’s history and culture when you visit us at Kankakee County Museum.
Temporarily Closed due to COVID-19 Pandemic
Kankakee County Museum's Christmas
Although we are unable to share the joy of the 2020 holiday season with you in our traditional Gallery of Trees fashion, we wanted to provide a virtual event for you to enjoy! Our staff worked hard this Fall to create a theme for nearly every exhibit in our museum. We decorated 9 trees in total.
1. Vestibule - In this area you will notice Santa Clause looking through a window into a dining area on one side and a candlelit tree with stained glass on the other. These displays are representative of the book our newest exhibit is based upon, "Growing Seasons".
2-5. The Centennial Room - The four trees dispersed throughout the Centennial Room are also representative of the "Growing Seasons" story and exhibition. Each tree is decorated for the four seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter.
6. War Exhibition (Ken Ponton Gallery) - In the WWI-WWII area, you will notice a patriotic themed tree with flags representing each branch. Military hats, boots, red cross packages, dog tags, and photos of local heroes fill the branches.
7. The Story of Kankakee County (Connie Licon Gallery) - This tree contains the names of towns within the county, photographs of local businesses throughout history, the Kankakee River, newspaper articles, and railroad tracks.
8. A Century of Sports Exhibition - The tree in this area holds a variety of athletic equipment and ornaments representing numerous sports. Letterman's jackets make up the skirt.
9. George Grey Barnard Exhibit - The Art tree was created with the help of our local Kankakee Art League! Their beautiful works along with some sculptures, easels, paint pallets, and brushes brighten up the room with color!
*"Growing Seasons" is now available for purchase at the museum store!
About the Events
Rhubarb Festival 2020
The Kankakee County Museum presents the 30th Annual Rhubarb Festival! On Sunday, May 24, 2020 from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, join us as we celebrate the pie plant! There will be vendors, rhubarb and strawberry-rhubarb pies for sale, a baking contest, dime toss, tours of the Taylor one-room Schoolhouse as well as the historic Doctor Small Home, and more.
Rhubarb Festival Vendor Fee
Gallery of Trees
Join us on December 1 to 30 at Kankakee County Museum for our annual holiday event. The museum is decorated with over 30 Christmas trees. Vote for your favorite! The suggested donation price is $2.00.
We are open Monday to Friday, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM, and Saturday to Sunday 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM with the exception of December 24 and 25.